The exercise of the week is SQUATS.
Here I show you guys some standard squats (with and without weight), modified sit to stand squats, sumo (or wide stance) squats (with and without weight), front squats, cable squats, pistol squats, goblet squats, and narrow stance squats…
Yeah. I know, that’s a lot of squats, but your glutes are a whole lot of muscle so it’s worth it. Squats are a compound movement, which means it uses multiple muscles, so it is also great for your quads in the front of your thighs, and hamstrings in the back. Your glutes, “butt muscles”, consist of 3 different muscles: gluteus maximus, g
luteus medius, gluteus minimus.
Basics for all squats:
- Activate your abdominals, your tranversus abdominis to be specific (this muscle wraps around your trunk like a corset) by drawing your belly button in. Learn to tighten this muscle while simultaneously making sure you’re breathing. Contracting your core doesn’t mean holding your breath. If you need to hold your breath, you need to increase the endurance of this muscle, which is easiest to do laying on your back, with knees bent, and drawing in your belly button, which should feel like flattening your back into the floor.
- Start the movement by hinging/bending at you hips as if sitting your butt back into a chair. This is where the movement starts from, you will not begin the movement by bending your knees. Hinge at the hips and your knees will follow. (note: this is the cause for > 50% of people, there are a few who, due to mobility and biomechanical differences, or when squatting with the bar low on your back, will need to break at the knees first in order to stay upright, HOWEVER this is usually not the case for most people)
- As you lower down, make sure your core stays tight and back is straight. This does not mean you can’t lean your chest forward; lean your chest forward but make sure your back does not curve or arch.
- Get low. (Like the Ying Yang Twins – 90’s babies may be the only ones to get this reference)
- As you come up, push through your heels to help activate your glutes.
- Straighten your legs and squeeze your butt!
- Get booty gains.